Explore a range of useful resources including articles, blog posts, books and publications.
- Integration and Implementation Insights – A community blog and repository of resources for improving research impact on complex real-world problems.
- Improving cross-disciplinary collaboration with strategy knotworking and ecocycle planning –Blog post by Nancy White published on the ‘Integration and Implementation Insights’ website (November 2022).
- Team Research Workshop in Albuquerque, New Mexico hosted by Divergent Science LLXC –Blog post published on the ‘Christabel Pankhurst Institute’ website (April 2023).
- Deploy team science principles to mend “silos” in academic medicine – Blog post by Darshana Shah, PhD published on ‘The Harvard Macy Institute’ website (October 2018).
Radio, TV and podcasts
- The Language Exchange – Radio 4 series where ‘poets and scientists meet to share language and ideas and create new work’.
- Team Science with Charlotte Stockton-Powdrell and Ruth Norris – Podcast episode (2023) from ‘The Pankhurst Presents: Health Tech Matters’ series (Spotify, episode also available on Youtube).
Research Collaboration – A step-by-step guide to success. Bramley, A. and Ogilvie, L. (2021).
- Pathway profiles: Learning from five main approaches to assessing interdisciplinarity. Laursen, B. K., Motzer, N., & Anderson, K. J. (2022). Research Evaluation.
This award-winning news article won the Best Paper award at the 2022 Science of Team Science conference.
- PhD training is no longer fit for purpose — it needs reform now. Editorial (2023). Nature.
“The nineteenth-century approach of doctoral students and professors in a master–apprentice relationship can no longer prepare researchers for the way science is done today: in large, interdisciplinary teams.”
- Ten simple rules to ruin a collaborative environment. Lawrence-Dill C.J., Allscheid R.L., Boaitey A., Bauman T., Buckler E.S. IV, Clarke J.L., et al. (2022). PLoS Computational Biology.
- Build up big-team science. Nicholas A. Coles, J. Kiley Hamlin, Lauren L. Sullivan, Timothy H. Parker & Drew Altschul. (2022). Nature.
The broader context is what is called “Big Team Science”.
- Realising the potential of community-based multidisciplinary teams. Therese Lloyd, Jake Beech, Arne Wolters, Charles Tallack. (2023). The Health Foundation.
Insights from our evaluation of multidisciplinary teams in communities.*
- What science can tell us about building great teams. Emily Stone. Kellogg Insight.
Publications – Divergent Science
Science facilitation: navigating the intersection of intellectual and interpersonal expertise in scientific collaboration. Cravens, A. E., Jones, M. S., Ngai, C., Zarestky, J., & Love, H. B. (2022). Humanities and Social Sciences Communications (nature.com).
A Review of the Literature of the Followership Since 2008: The Importance of Relationships and Emotional Intelligence. Martin, R (2015). Sage Journals.
- Analyzing The Strength Between Mission And Vision Statements And Industry Via Machine Learning. Alshameri, F., & Green, N. (2020). Journal of Applied Business Research.
- Does organizational vision really matter? An empirical examination of factors related to organizational vision integration among hospital employees. Slåtten, T., Mutonyi, B. R., & Lien, G. (2021). Biomedcentral.
- Measuring motivation for team science collaboration in health teams. Lotrecchiano, G. R., Schwartz, L., & Falk-Krzesinski, H. J. (2021). PMC (nih.gov)
- Guide to project onboarding (checklist and common problems). Burger, R. (2021). Resource Guru.
Creating effective teams
- Interpersonal relationships drive successful team science: an exemplary case-based study. Love, H. B., Cross, J. E., Fosdick, B., Crooks, K. R., VandeWoude, S., & Fisher, E. R. (2021). Humanities and Social Sciences Communications (nature.com).
Navigating team conflict
- Using Norms To Control Conflict. Maximum Advantage.
Effective communication skills for business and personal success.
- Paul Osincup – Keynote speaker website.
- Research Provides Insights into Cultural Factors Behind Positive Employee Attitudes and Behaviors. Moores, G. (2021). Colorado State University.
Unfamiliar with any of the terms used? Our glossary page might help.